Sunday, August 22, 2010

"When you're sliding into first..."





 Ok.  I won't finish the song.   If you are truly curious and want to know where I was going with the title you can check the video above.   Borderline inappropriate?  I know.  But you try being locked in the house for essentially 12 days where poop is the #1 subject matter and tell me you aren't a little crazy.   

12 days?!?   Well lets start at the beginning.  

Eli Potty Training Day 1 :  (Left to pick his own shirt he continuously picked Halloween ones...) 
I'll throw in a cute one of Anna just for kicks!  She decided not to wear shorts/pants either! 



Wednesday 8/11:  I embark on a "3 Day Potty Training" journey with Eli.   My friend, Lindsay, passed on a book to me and I thought it was worth a try!   It was hot, we had nothing planned, school/commitments were about to begin so I thought we'd go for it.   Basically you have to stay in the house for 3 days, your child cannot where pants, you need to pump them with fluids and your focus has to be getting them to the bathroom each time you catch them in the act : )   Well?  It clicked pretty much right away.   What can I say?  This thing is magical?   Eli was ready?  I'm a rockstar?  Just take your pick.  

Day 2 Potty Training: Eli's Modesty Lessens
Thursday 8/12:  Day 2 of Potty training was a little more eventful.   In my confidence I decided to invite a dear friend that recently moved back into town and her 3 year old over for a playdate.    While we were outside waiting for them I noticed a puddle forming under Eli on the sidewalk.   It took me a second before I realized what it was.   "Eli...go inside!  You're going potty!"   Then I had to yell to Kim, "Watch out for the puddle of pee on your way in" as I ran in to help Eli.   Great welcome :) 


Our next fun event that night happened to Todd.   He noticed Eli was acting funny and then realized he was going potty (not in the potty) so rushed him to the bathroom.   Let's just say he didn't make it and out came this quote from Eli, "There's poop everywhere!". 

Day 3 Potty Training: Eli's Modesty Gone


Friday 8/13: Day 3 of Potty Training was as uneventful as the first.   I think we found ourselves a champion!  

At the Zoo...this is my fave face she makes.


Saturday 8/14, Sunday 8/15: With Todd home we decided to take a couple of field trips to see how he did out....he did fabulous.  He went to the bathroom 3 times at the zoo!  

Our Potty Champion

Monday 8/16: We decided to celebrate the end of Eli's potty training by taking all of his reward M & M's and making cookies.  (this was so he could see they were gone...)   Great idea, right?


Well...

Eli consuming SALMONELLA!!!!!!!
....unfortunately the cookies were a great idea, but eating the batter was not : ( 

Tuesday 8/17-Present:  Eli and I caught the food borne illness Salmonella I believe from the cookie dough we ate :(   At nap time I became extremely exhausted and could barely put the kids down for a nap.   That afternoon I started feeling sick and then everything went...south.   At first I thought it was just a 24 hour bug, but then the news reports came out about the biggest egg recall in history and the pieces started to fall together.  What can I say about this horrible illness?  It's horrible.  It's basically like having the stomach flu for 5-7 DAYS.   Why does it stay in your system for so long?  I have no idea. None.  The biggest challenge is to stay hydrated, and with me still trying to nurse anna (just in case this was something contagious I wanted her to get my antibodies) this was a challenge.  

Unfortunately Todd had already taken off work to do a week long class and unless he wanted an "incomplete" he needed to be there.   He was my hero though.  He coordinated child care, ran home on his lunch breaks, and took excellent care of us as soon as class let out.  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU Grandparents for helping us out, all of you.   We are so blessed to have you, and thank you for your willingness to roll up your sleeves and help us out.

It's Sunday evening and I must say I feel 60%.  Not bad!  (I expect miracles on day 7...tomorrow)  Thank you for everyones prayers and support this past week.   We love you!   (Oh and if you plan on coming over, do know that cleaning the bathrooms is #1 on my list!) 

No comments: