Wednesday, March 14, 2012

read.cook.grow.




Some of you have heard about this, and heard about this, and heard about this until you just can't hear any more : )   But for those of you that haven't / or aren't sick of it yet I wanted to talk about my new business venture with you.  

For those of you that don't already know I am a teacher.   I'm certified to teach several things (Elementary, Middle School Social Studies, German and 5-12 Family and Consumer Sciences).   Family and Consumer Sciences (a.k.a. Home Economics) was my chosen path into teaching and I loved it.   I taught cooking, sewing, child development, interior design and personal finance.  (I know...awesome, right?)  The crowd favorite was ALWAYS the cooking and, because of the curriculum, it never took much to make students really excited about my class.   It's been almost 4 years since I decided to take an absence from teaching and experience motherhood full time.  Even before the big move I was itching to get back into teaching in some way, shape or form.  

This particular idea has been rolling in my head for months and I'm excited to see it coming to fruition!   I have created a curriculum for a cooking camp that incorporates favorite childrens' stories. My original idea was to do this out of my home for preschoolers.   BUT since 1) that may creep some parents out and 2) I'm not entirely sure that would be legal, I decided to ask local restaurants if they would be willing to take a chance on me and my idea.  

My first place to call was The Pantry in historic downtown McKinney.  They are a favorite here in McKinney because of their charm and of course their food.  They have the best pies I've ever had (see my post from this summer), and were even featured on the Food Network.   They immediately liked my idea and were open to giving me a trial run there!   As you can imagine I was a little shocked, but mostly excited that someone else had faith in my idea.  I've had to make a few adjustments (increase the age, changes some stories/recipes, up the price...renting space isn't free you know) but all in all I think it's evolved into something that I'm excited to bring to the community.   Let's just hope they are as excited as I am : )   

So, coming to Mckinney in June...   read.cook.grow.  "a cooking camp that lets your imagination grow".  *

 *If you haven't already clicked on my link to my website, here it is.  http://readcookgrow.blogspot.com/
*I would love it if you would "like" me on facebook.   More people I get to "like" me the more they allow me to do with my facebook page.    https://www.facebook.com/readcookgrow



No comments: