Thursday, May 30, 2013

Introducing Samuel Isaac

Samuel Isaac Warren
May 26, 2013, 6:57 pm
9 lb 11 oz 21''


Depending on how you look at it my labor was really long or really short.   I have technically been contracting since week 35 (and by that I mean 3-5 min apart for hours) but since there was never any cervical change they did not count as active labor.   Speed ahead to Sunday, May 26.   I felt similar contractions around 11am but wanted to be sure they were the real deal (already been to the hospital 4 times).   So I waited until they were 2-3 minutes  apart and painful for 2 hours.  We get to the hospital @ 2 pm and they said there had been no change (once again) but that i had "really good contractions".  At this point I was annoyed, in pain, etc just like the previous 5 weeks.   They encouraged me to walk for a bit to see if that did anything.   They definitely grew in intensity.   At 4 pm they checked me and said I had "only changed a cm" which wasn't enough to admit me yet.   I said, "are you kidding me?   If you've been me the last 5 weeks 1cm is like a boulder being moved!"   She said I was most likely in active labor but it will be awhile so I could either continue to walk there or go home, have dinner and come back more than likely early the next morning.   

Based upon what I was feeling I chose to walk more.   1 hour later I could barely stand through the contractions so I went back to the room to have her check me and beg for an epidural at the same time.   She said "Oh... you've already gone another cm, we can admit you."   I think my water broke as soon as she made that statement.   By the time she had me signing papers I was in intense pain and begging for the epidural.  She said she had to get an IV in me first.   I truly didn't know how I could wait, but I did.   What seemed like an eternity later they got the epidural in (actually 30 min after admitting me, so fairly quick) and she said it would take 15 minutes to experience the full effect.   They checked me again and the baby was crowning.  Three pushes later Sam was born.   So from true time of admitting me to birth it was less than 1 hour.  Id like to say at this time that I birthed an almost 10 pound baby without drugs nor child bearing classes (I always meant to take one).  Dont recommend it.  

Some scary parts (from Todds persective ... I was in too much pain to notice, thankfully).  
* I had meconium in my amniotic fluid so they needed to bring the NICU team in. Read about why here.    
*I tested positive for Group B and they didnt have time to give me the antibiotic to pass to Sam.  read about why here.
*His heart rate dropped to 80

So, there was a team of 11 doctors in there.  I feel very grateful for that kind of care when so many dont have that available to them.   Turns out all they could talk about was his size... I heard "he's a toddler" before "It's a boy".  Its a fairly new hospital so they dont have much of a spectrum ; )   He received a 9.9 Apgar score, didnt show any signs of Strep B (they kept us in hospital for 48 hours, but I still need to keep a look out for symptoms), passed his 12 hour glucose test  (a blood prick every hour for 12 hours, because he was so big), and is my first baby Ive taken home WITHOUT jaundice (and I had them check 100 times).   So you can say Sam is a strong and healthy lil' guy!   

Meet Samuel Isaac! 

9 lb 11 oz

Meeting Mommy

Meeting big brother

Meeting big sister

Meeting Grandaddy. 

Out of labor and delivery and safe and sound in our room. 

Meeting Grandma

Meeting Grandpa

Eli explaining to us how many days it would be until he felt comfortable holding you (7...but it only took 2)

Snoozing on Mommy

Snoozing on Daddy

Letting Mommy take her first shower at home.  : ) 
We LOVE YOU Samuel Isaac!  

4 comments:

khamby said...

So happy you wrote this post. Thank you for sharing a peak into your experience. What a blessing God gives us with our children. How could our hearts be filled with love so quickly. :). Love you and your family. So glad he is FINALLY here.

Kim Janous said...

LOVED reading this! You are amazing! He is so so cute! Love you all

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.