Friday, September 3, 2010

Here are a few of my favorite things #3

#3:  Goodwill. 



I love this place for sooooo many reasons.

*I call it my "organized garage sale".   If I had the time & hands I would definitely be an avid garage saler, but something about putting 2 kids in and out of carseats, carrying 1 around while the other one touches things he's not supposed to, takes the fun out of it.   So Goodwill meets both of my needs in that it is like 20 + garage sales all in one place (time) and it has carts (hands)!
*I can buy gently used/never used baby clothes for....$1!
*I can buy gently used/never used preschooler clothes for...$2!
*I can find unique items that no one else has (well someone had them at some point...)  For example, I bought Eli the coolest Star Wars shirt known to man that I think someone wore when the movies first came out.   I also have found a ton of old fisher price toys that they just don't make any more (well actually they do have a new retro line...)  
*I can donate stuff that we don't need anymore at the same time for someone else to use (and it is tax deductible!)
*We are reusing items rather than just consuming more
*My husband "loves" that I can get my shopping bug out without spending too much $$$
*Their mission:   "Goodwill Industries International enhances the dignity and quality of life of individuals, families and communities by eliminating barriers to opportunity and helping people in need reach their fullest potential through the power of work."   Last year they helped over 155,000 people find work!  (so yes honey, our $$ is going to a good cause...think of it as our contribution!)

To find your local Goodwill go here and put in your zipcode.   If you live in the St. Louis area you'll probably see me...I like to Goodwill hop : )

1 comment:

Jaclyn Morgan said...

It is a great mission, too. I'm wondering if some are better for some things. For example, are some better for children's clothes and others better for decorating?